Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Spare Room - Helen Garner


The Spare Room - Helen Garner (2008)

Helen, prepares her spare room for her friend Nicola to come and stay. Nicola has terminal cancer, and is coming to Melbourne for some alternative treatment. Knowing that her friend will need looking after Helen is gracious, compassionate and patient, and begins to realize that she is also scared and confused. Looking after Nicola is something she can't do alone, without support, and trying to get Nicola to accept help becomes increasingly difficult.

A bold and very straight novel, it is something that anyone who has cared for a relative or friend can relate to. It also made me think about how I would face such a fate. Working in the health field I hope that I would be gracious, and thoughtful to those around helping me, and that also I would seek to make my time as quietly and calmly as possible.

3/5

No comments: