Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The September Issue


The September Issue (2009)

I really wanted to see this one at the film festival, but its time clashed with prebooked tickets, so luckily it was a cool day and I had the whole day off to go to the movies. Only 10 people shared the cinema with me, but I know that many of my friends and colleagues had already been to see it.

The September Issue, as I am sure all of you know is about primarily Anna Wintour, and the putting together of the biggest magazine of the year, for American Vogue. A documentry team follow the production of the magazine, and all the characters that help bring it together.

A part of me loves the flashiness and excitement of fashion, but in reality I wear jeans and flat shoes on my days off, and have given up on high heels and expensive clothes. I think spending over $150 for clothes is expensive, and will only spend that on shoes that I know I will wear and wear.

The vogue world, although beautiful and romantic, is purely an illusion, and the team are there to sell both the clothes and the dream. In reality, I would never buy an issue, but thumb through them at the hairdressers, while I am imprisioned in their chair. I really have so little in common with the 16 year old models in their $40,000 dresses and $2000 pairs of shoes, who look so unhappy - posing like they have scoliosis and kyphosis.

The funniest thing was that they took it all so seriously, and although Anna Wintour is highly regarded, I wonder if she will look back on her life and wish she had been a little more fun.

4/5

No comments: