Thursday, October 29, 2009

Rendition


Renditon (2007)

Somewhere in the far reaches of my memory, I vaguely recollect seeing the ads for this one, but I guess in the midst of study panic, it got shelved and not thought about. The temptations of the Tuesday 1/2 price video night though pulled quietly to it, what is not to like? Peter Sarsgaard, Meryl Streep, Reese and Jake - ohhh aaah.

However it a serious subject for a drama, a CIA agent in a North African city is invited to the torture of an American citizen, who is being held on questionable charges. Meanwhile his heavily pregnant wife, Reese , (who looks about 19, even though she has 2 adorable children of her own) is trying to get answers from the government. Everyone is keeping secrets from each other, and I found it compelling to watch, and thought it well done. I don't really need any big build ups and let downs, I just want a drama to unfold, to tell me a story, and one that makes you go away and think about it for a little bit. So I'm going to say 4/5.

No comments: