Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Young Victoria


The Young Victoria (2009)

So after a naughty lunch of McDs, disgusting I know. I rushed up to get my second movie ticket of the day (it was grey and windy outside, so I didn't feel too guilty).

I have wanted to see this one for a while, and have been trying to resist reading too many reviews. The ones I have managed not to avoid, have been a bit disappointed with the movie, which was a shame.

Not me though, I loves me a good costume drama, and the costumes in this one were great. Emily Blunt, certainly held her own as the young Princess/Queen Victoria. I thought that she was polished, commanding, sweet and certainly very beautiful - what glorious luminescent skin.

Rupert Friend was a bit of a foppish bloke, and I think the bloke who played his brother was more handsome. However his role was to be a humble pawn, who was coached to appeal to the British princess. Certainly this story goes to show the great love the two royals shared with each other.

I learnt many a thing along the way. I never knew how sheltered an upbringing the princess had, and the Queen had to propose marriage. What a hard job for a young girl of 18 to take on.

Somewhere in the middle of the movie, I felt it lost a little momentum, a little chemistry, a little magic, but on the whole it was good - a very likable 4/5.

No comments: