Sunday, August 30, 2009

Accidently on Purpose - Mary F. Pols


Accidently on Purpose - Mary F. Pols (2009)

At 39, Mary F. Pols meets a cute guy at a bar, spends the night and then finds herself pregnant. Figuring it may be her only chance, she decides to keep the baby, and to keep the father involved.

A real life tale, this little book was moving without being soppy in telling the story of both her current life and circumstances and her own place within her immediate family. At the same time as having a baby, Mary must deal with both of her partents becoming ill.

The father Matt, seems to be the modern manboy that is everywhere now. The 29 year old bloke, that has never really had a job, can't cook or clean, doesn't want a relationship and quotes from Homer Simpson more than anyone else.

Having reached 40 myself, and without any children, I can relate to Mary and can only wonder how I would manage if it happened to me, and that is I guess the beauty of any little biopic. I must say it with profound jealousy that I read of her job as a film critic. I am sure it is not glamorous, and most likely tedious, especially in the summertime. But how I would love to give up my own job, and be paid to watch movies - Sigh!!! 3/5

No comments: