Saturday, July 25, 2009

Cheri

Cheri (2009)
Michelle Pfeffier plays an aging prostitute Lea,who falls in love with the young son of a friend. Their relationship is happily played out together for six years, until the day it is announced that Cheri (Rupert Friend), is to be married to a much younger bride so that his mother may have grandchildren.

An amusing romp in period costume drama, in a time when people did what they were told. I wonder how Rupert Friend felt wearing a hairdo that my grandmother would have loved. Seriously coloured and cut like my nans was in the 1970s, I felt it distracted hugely from his English fopishness, and made him look crazy.

Still a 3/5. The first part was great, filled with colour and great outdoor scenes. I found the second half to be a bit filled with 'woo is me' speeches and extended longing looks. Michelle Pfeffer and Kathy Bates, were great as too aging courtesans, even with their American accents.

No comments: