Friday, July 31, 2009

Broken Embraces

Broken Embraces (2009)
I believe the premieres for this movie are happening as we speak. I went to a daytime session, and was running a bit late, so had to sit high up at the movie theatre as it was mostly full.

It seemed to me to be purely a project to highlight Penelope Cruz, who is undeniably stunning and talented. A blind movie writer/director tells of how he became blind after becoming involved with the mistress of a powerful man. Determined to find out if his mistress is having an affair, he gets his son to film a behind the scenes documentary about the movie they are making. When the betrayal is confirmed, the lovers seek to escape, leaving the movie to be finished by others.

I don't know, maybe I am jaded but I just didn't get it. It wasn't really much of a story and just ambled along, and I didn't really believe or like any of the characters. I have to say that I am going to have to give it a 2/5 - and two only because of Penelope Cruz and also because the Spanish sounded awesome.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

not much of a fan of miss cruz, but i liked her in "volver", that's a great movie by almodóvar i highly recommend if you haven't seen it. i usually enjoy his films a lot, but there are low water marks too. my favourites are:
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Talk to Her, All About My Mother and Volver.