Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Reservation Road

Reservation Road - Dvd (2007)
The gloomy weather in our part of the world has meant nights tucked in at home with books or dvds. Somehow I had seen the promo for this movie on another I watched last week, and as I enjoy Mark Ruffolo/Jennifer Connelly, I put in my order and reserved it.

I feel somewhat conflicted, as the I do enjoy dramas, and so often feel letdown by the light and fluffy stuff out there. The date night floofy stories, the stupid chick flicks that have no smarts and worst of all the manboy comedies written by and for 12 year old boys (I'm talking to you Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler), they all leave me so annoyed at wasting good money, and I almost feel dirty watching them. Reservation Road was dramatic, well acted and directed, but I felt a bit gloomy about the story.

After an evening out, a young family stops at a gas station where an SUV, swerves and hits and kills the son who is at the side of the road, releasing fire flys back into the bushes. The driver stunned and scared drives away, leaving the family in turmoil. They both then, have to learn to live with what has happened and how it affects their lives.

I guess not the cheeriest of stories to cover, and I thought that both Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Ruffolo did a good honest portrayl of stress, grief and sorrow. I have to give it a 2/5.

No comments: