Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - Dvd (2007)
Somehow I missed this one at the movies. Study keeps me away from the cinema sometimes, but it is always a delight to have something interesting on dvd to watch. At the moment I am excited as the Wellington International Film Festival starts in 6 weeks, and I have annual leave for the whole lot, making me a huge geek I know!!! My friend is in charge of booking the popular evening shows and we booked for 10 of these, booked on the first day of the booking office opening.

I don't usually do the mid week dvds, but this week I have no shift and the tele sucks, so I am treating myself to some indoor entertainment and have a few dvds and a pile of books, just in case the swine flu arrives (and I am feeling very sniffly).

Miss Pettigrew is a frumy governess who dismissed from her job, finds herself tossed onto the streets. Being enterprising she manages to find herself in a position of helping a young American actress, and within the space of a day, everything changes.

A delightful comedy, set in 1939 London, this period piece feels light and not too forced (unlike an Easy Virtue, seen earlier in the month). Frances McDormand was perfect in her role as Miss Pettigrew, Amy Adams was bubbly and insightful and Ciaran Hinds/Mr Wentworth was broody and the perfect love interest for the older ladies. 4/5

1 comment:

Pia K said...

Oh, oh, oh, this sounds JUST like a movie I'd love! Thanks for the tip!

And have a wonderful time at the film festival, sounds great!