Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (2005)
I tried to read it, I wanted to enjoy it, but I couldn't do it. The bookmark is still on page 46, I felt as though I was wasting time if I read further, so I stopped.

Pia, have you read this Swedish book? Just wondering, as you are the only reader of this blog!

Do you give up on books? I always feel guilty, as I know the author has made a lot of effort, and often others have enjoyed the read. Sometimes I persevere if I have bought the book, and have less guilt at not finishing library books, as they are free to borrow.

3 comments:

Pia K said...

Well, honestly, my verdict on this series (which I have written about search Stieg Larsson on my blog and you'll find them) is that basically its an interesting and exciting plot but not very well written. And I have no idea how it turns out in translation, maybe better, who knows. But I think you can (quite guilt free) skip it. I know many rave about it, myself I'm not too impressed.

And yes, I do give up on books, it may still bug me *a bit*, especially, as you say, when I've bought them. But really, life's too short to waste on books that I don't enjoy (for some reason).

Really good Swedish suspense novels are the Arne Dahl's series and John Ajvide Lindqvist. A few of their books are translated into English.

Unknown said...

Of all people I have heard of that has read this book you two seem to be the only one that dont seem to like it. :-). Give it a try. It gets better. "Not well written"??. I definitely dont agree with that.

Unknown said...

hi, I read the first book and really disliked it, but felt I was the only one in the planet that didn't like it, so I've been looking for other people that thought it was not well written.
Here a blog I just found http://fleegan.com/?p=1002