Monday, June 29, 2009

The Burnt-Out Town of Miracles - Roy Jacobsen

The Burnt-Out Town of Miracles - Roy Jacobsen (2005)
I had wandered into the central town library, as I had an hour or two to spare before I met my friends. At 4pm many of the cafes are crowded and noisy and the library is often a quiet place to retreat. I did a quick glance around the shelves, and this little book was resting on the librarians choice shelf. I had vaguely remembered some reviews of this book, and as it was small and light and the ideal size to fit in my bag, I took it out.

Timo lives in a small town in the forests of Finland. In 1939 in the depths of winter, the inhabitants retreat as the Russians advance leaving most of the town burnt out. Timo stays and is joined by a small collection of stragglers, each trying to find their own freedom and way home.

I can't say I was particularly moved or astounded by this small book (like it says on the cover), and after picking it up to read the last 10 pages, after a week in my bag I was hard pushed to remember what had happened and who the characters were. I feel I should apologize, but I am going to have to say 2/5.

No comments: