Friday, May 08, 2009

Last Chance Harvey

Last Chance Harvey (2008)
Today was a day of blustery cold rain, that has collected in Antartic waters and come racing up to us in New Zealand, so when the invitation came to go to the movies came up, I hesitated at first. However it is always nice to meet a friend, especially on a Friday when everyone else is working.

We had lunch at a nice cosy pub, with the best meatloaf ever and then were lazy and drove to the movie theatre to avoid the rain. Last Chance Harvey is about a father who travels to London for his daughters wedding. Along the way he runs into Emma Thompsons character and their friendship starts.

A story based only over a weekend, I thought they did a superb job of capturing the loneliness many of us feel in our lives, but particularly in certain social situations. The looks, the fake smiles - I know I have felt the same way at weddings where I have gone alone. Anyways, I thought it was sweet and I enjoyed both Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson, and I am going to give this understated and smart movie 4/5.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

Oh, sounds like a terrific movie! Wonder if its on here in Sweden? Both actors are great!