Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cockeyed - Ryan Knighton

Cockeyed - Ryan Knighton (2007)
Well it was a miserable day in Welly today. Very cold and rain was threatening, so I considered going to the movies. Having some time to kill, I popped into the library, finished the book I was reading as I only had 20 pages to go, and picked this one up after browsing the shelves. Starting at 2.18pm I had it finished at 4.05pm. Not bad I thought, although I was running too late for the movies now, I felt ok.

Ryan is a teenager when it is discovered that he has a degenerative condition that will cause him to go blind. This is discovered after he gets his drivers licence, and I enjoyed the first chapters where he has several accidents, and damages the car because he is unaware of his blind spots.

I did learn some things too that I have never considered. That blind people may seem to be staring, but what do they look at if they are looking at nothing? Also that the way we express emotions on our faces is often because we are stimulated by each other, and mimic the way others look. If you don't see your face or anybody elses, you can lose that ability.

Anyways a standard 3/5 from me. It was short, well written and amusing.

No comments: