Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Death on the Ice - Robert Ryan

Death on the Ice - Robert Ryan (2009)
This is one of those stories, that I thought I knew, but now know I only knew snippets of it. I didn't really understand what, who or why. Robert Ryans book is a novel, about Scott and his journey to reach the south pole.

I am glad I read it at the tail end of summer, beginning of winter because it sure made me appreciative of a warm dry bed. Scott, held up by many as a hero of his time, the great British adventurer is seen in this book as a man who stood with his principles, took his role as leader seriously, but by not planning properly and listening to advice, paid the price with the lives of his men and himself in 1912.

Although long, for me it was a good weeks read, I have to give it a 4/5.

No comments: