Sunday, February 01, 2009

P.S. I Love You

P.S. I Love You (2008)
After deciding to have a little Gerard Butler film festival - if only because three reserved dvds arrived on my shelf at the library on one day, I was able to watch this movie, finally. After the disaster that was Lucy Sullivan getting married, I had thought this would be a predictable chick flick.

I have read the book, some time ago, and all I remeber of it was that the main characters husband dies, and sends her letters every so often to help her deal with it. In the movie, events are moved from Ireland to New York, but my failing memory meant that this story was not destroyed, by my memories of the book. Gerard Butler was awesome as playing a sensitive and fun fellow (and pretty dreamy too!! swoon!!). Hilary Swank, actually was pretty good and only slightly annoying (my goodness her teeth are huge, and sometimes she seemed a bit too pathetic), but please, please please, could someone sit on her and feed her a couple of loaves of bread. She looks like she hasn't eaten a carb her whole life. The supporting cast added a believable touch, rather than than being awkward extras - I liked Lisa Kudrow as the girlfriend searching for the perfect boy, and Harry Connick Jr as the sensitive barman/love interest.

I don't know if the boys would like it, but I thing it a perfect sunday night movie, with a bowl of popcorn and a nice cool drink. 4/5

2 comments:

Pia K said...

I absolutely hated the badly written book, of the worst kind of chick lit, read about 40 pages before I decided enough. So that made me stay away from the film. Though I like Mr Butler... but I think I'll wait until it comes on TV just the same.

Chavi said...

I LOVED the book and was hoping the movie would not dissapoint me, but it did. The only good thing about it was Gerard Butler! I would have given it 2 stars. You're too generous.