Sunday, December 14, 2008

Testimony - Anita Shreve

Testimony - Anita Shreve (2008)
I had seen this book sitting on the shelves at the local bookstore, and was so quick in ordering it at the library that I only had to wait two weeks for it to come through. I ordered it based on the author, as I have enjoyed most of her previous writing, and I had not taken the time to read the blurb. In fact, I started the book not knowing what it was about, if I had I may have had reservations about the content.

At a private high school, the headmaster is given a video tape to look at. On it he finds a graphic and disturbing record of a fourteen year old girl student, involved in sexual activities with three much older male students. Cleverly, rather than taking one viewpoint, Anita Shreve allows all the characters a voice and a platform. We hear from the girl, the boys, their friends and roomates, parents and teachers, as this effects so many people. Although a clever method of telling the story, I did ultimately become a bit distracted and confused by who was who.

I have to say though that I will be only giving this a 2/5, as a tale of sexual assualt is not the type of story I would want to reread, or to recommend to anyone else.

No comments: