Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Queen's Sorrow - Suzannah Dunn

The Queen's Sorrow - Suzannah Dunn (2008)
When I searched for a picture of this book, I got this one from Amazon UK and noted that after 14 reviews it only got 1.5 stars. I thought that a bit harsh, and although tempted to read what had been written, I didn't want it to colour my own thoughts and I need to dry my hair, go to the supermarket and get some housework done.

So I thought that this was an original take on a story that has been rehashed a lot recently. Queen Mary (Queen Elizabeth 1st 1/2 sister), marries Phillip of Spain, her nephew (yuch). As he arrives in England he brings with him hundreds of Spanish men, who end up sitting around waiting to go home.

One of these is Rafael a sundial maker who is sent to board with a local family. I enjoyed this different take on a royal story, where we get to see tudor England through a foreigners eyes.

So I am going to up the stars and my feelings tell me it is a 3/5 for this one. Off to dry my hair now.

No comments: