Sunday, December 21, 2008

Going Gray - Anne Kreamer

Going Gray - Anne Kreamer (2007)
My friends and I have often sat around and discusses at what stage do you move to stop dyeing your hair, and let it be natural and gray? We think that in our fifties, we will consider it and certainly if prices increase at the hairdressers than we will make the change even sooner.

Anne Kreamer had been dyeing her hair an unnatural brown every three weeks, up until age 49, when she decides to let to the grays grow in. In this wee book, she looks at peoples reaction to how she looks and how women and men with gray hair are perceived. I was surprised to learn that up until the 1950s only 10 percent of woman changed their hair colour.

A 3/5 for this book. I also loved an article that Marie Claire did in the past year, where it got three women to stop washing their hair with shampoos and conditioner for three months. By just using water and occasional natural products their hair stayed healthy and clean. I hate missing even one day of washing my hair, and was amazed that their hair looked ok.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

I saw a glimpse of the author and her book at Martha Stewart, I never did get her name then though, so I'm glad I found it here. Not that I (yet) am contemplating going grey, although I'm slightly more grey than usual now (hate it) just because I had to cancel my hairdresser appointment a couple of months back and she haven't had any openings since... I can't see myself in grey hair, I would feel miserable and uncomfortable. But there are of course many women - and men - out there who look fab in it! Just not me.