Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Nocturne - Diane Armstrong

Nocturne - Diane Armstrong (2008)
Nocturne is the new book by Polish born Australian author Diane Armstrong. I enjoyed her other novel Winter Journey so much, that I was quick to request her newest book from the library.

This story centres on Elzunia, who unaware of her families heritage goes from being a student to finding herself in the Jewish ghetto in Warsaw with her mother, brother and a young girl. Struggling to protect her family she trains as a nurse, and assists with the uprising against the Germans.

Adam is a pilot with the Polish air force, who after defeat by the Germans ends up in Britain doing bombing missions with the RAF across Europe. Early in the story and at the beginning of the war, their paths cross and neither forgets each other.

I enjoyed this story, as you know I am drawn to the second world war/Holocaust tale. If these stories were not based on truth, you could not imagine how an author could conjure up such misery and hell. The two main characters were likable and I wanted to see what happened in their lives. A few of the circumstances at the end of the novel seemed a bit of a stretch of coincidence. Much like 'The Clan of the Cave Bear' where she manages to domesticate dogs, invent fire and the wheel, I felt the coming together of all the characters in one place a bit too easy. However, this is a novel, and I like to have an ending and know what works out and what doesn't.

3/5 for this one, I think I will have to turn to a thriller next, as I feel all warred out.

No comments: