Monday, November 03, 2008

Dear Fatty - Dawn French

Dear Fatty - Dawn French (2008)
I spied this one sitting on the bookshop shelves on Saturday lunchtime and an hour or two later, after comparing prices around town it was mine (Borders was the cheapest). Dawn French is one half of French and Saunders, and was the vicar of Dibley - a show I never found funny. She usually made me smile in many of the shows she was in, her comedy timing is great and she always looked so good being dressed up in crazy costumes (just look at her as Frodo or Bjork) and her book shows her humour and love of life. Set out as a series of letters to all the important people in her life, it manages to weave her way from childhood to her current age of 50.

I like her writing, it exudes niceness and fun. I love her describing herself as having the figure of a weeble, one of those toddler toys that will get knocked about but not fall over. Her love for her husband Lenny Henry and daughter Billie is sweet and shines deeply and she is not shy about talking about past relationships and boyfriends of all kinds. You have to admire her for picking her boyfriends because they have big hands. I'm going to give it a 3/5 because you know she could be your best friend, could drink you under the table and would love to whisper about boys with her.

1 comment:

Camp Stanhope Happenings said...

I didn't see all the 'vicar' shows, but there were a couple I thought were funny, and the "Teletubby" wedding was strange. I'm going to look this one up, because I agree with you about the girlfriend thing.