Saturday, October 04, 2008

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007)
Set in Romania in the 1980s, roomates Otilia and Gabita spend the day organising a meeting with Mr Bebe who will perform an illegal abortion in a hotel room.

I didn't know much more than this was a particularly graphic depiction of such a grim event, and that as the Palme d'Or winner at Cannes, it seemed to be a fave of the critics. Being a rainy movie and the best our tv had to offer was Joe Dirt and a Hannah Montanna movie, it was off to the movies. A cheap Chinese dinner was pleasant, even if the restaurant smelled as though it had 15 cats sleeping in it, a quick Italian icecream filled the tummy.

So the actesses did an awesome job, the director captured the mood well and the costume designers scoured the op shops for nice 80's European fashion and home decor items. It might have been the warm movie theatre or the sofas they provide, but I kept snoozing off. Sorry I found it a bit serious and dull.

Definately not a movie for the children, but maybe it might make you consider your views on what happens if you make abortion illegal. 1/5

1 comment:

Toulouse said...

Hi,
I am Toulouse's mom, Michelle. I love your blog! I have many years on you probably and find my memory is not as good as it used to be esp when it comes to remembering the titles and characters of the books or movies I see. It's rather embarrassing. Your blog is a great idea! And, I also love to read so your reviews are certainly appreciated. You're doing a great job!

Your Friend,
Michelle