Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Lady Elizabeth - Alison Weir

The Lady Elizabeth - Alison Weir (2008)
I thought this was a strong showing from Alison Weir, who has departed from her non-fiction books to produce this, her second novel. Knowledgeable in all things Henry the 8th and Queen Elizabeth I, she is able to produce a book rich in historical fact without being too staid.

Filled with the scandals that surrounded the English court I felt I learnt a couple of things. I never knew how Mary died or how her marriage to Phillip of Spain panned out, and I am sure in all those movies that are out and about, the Elizabeth is portrayed in sumptuous outfits while Mary is portrayed as dull and pious. In the book however, Alison Weir draws our attentions to Elizabeths role in maintaining a Protestant style of dressing with little ornamentation while Mary is drawn to the more Catholic opulence.

A little bit long for my tastes, I however was drawn in to the story and could picture Elizabeth pacing around the tower of London (the first place I visited upon arriving in London).

A good read while tucked up in bed in the winter 3/5.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

That sounds like a really interesting read!

Have you seen the British TV-movie "Elisabeth I" with Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons? If not, you really should - and there one will learn "all" about how Mary died - it's a brilliant movie and very different to the usual hoity-toity Hollywood versions.