Saturday, August 30, 2008

Easy Green Living - Renee Loux

Easy Green Living - Renee Loux, 2008
Now I have to be the first to admit that I didn't read this book cover to cover and usually I wouldn't post unless I had. I was returning library books as they were close to overdue, and reminding myself that study was to come first and not to choose anymore to read. But this one was the first one I spied as I stepped into the doors. Specifically placed to tempt me.

So I have managed to flick through and read a few sections. To be honest I think if you sat down and read it all, you might be convinced to leave all your dangerous things like deoderant, tupperware and teflon pans in your toxic house - head for the woods and live off the land with one wooden bowl and dog hair blanket. Woops you might be allergic to dog hair, better just take the bowl.

However as she says at the beginning, small changes make your life greener. Speaking of which at the museum today we noticed a recycling display. Did you know that polysterene never biodegrades? It will last for ever, so that cup that you take two sips out of and is discarded will be rubbish still when your grandkids are old? I have asked before at work that we change to cardboard cups, maybe I need to photo copy a few pages and get more vocal.

Anyways I was thinking this would probably be a good christmas pesent for someone in your life. Although lots of the items are American, with the good old internet they can be purchased and sent to you, but that will use up lots of carbon miles. Lots of recipes for making your own healthy alternatives.

By the way, I have always said that plastic would turn out to be one of the things that triggers cancer. I just hope that television isn't the cause. 4/5.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

Sounds like a interesting read, even if the topic and the advice can become a bit too sapient at times. You have to pick bits and take one little step at the time and try not to be overwhelmed by it all I think...