Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Shakespeare - Bill Bryon

Shakespeare - Bill Bryson (2007)

I really really wanted to like this book. I've read other Bill Brysons, well maybe all of them over the years. I was awestruck by his guide to everything in the world, how much work must it have been to reseach that book? I then saw him interviewed on tv, and although he is of modest looks, he seems to be a man who is interested in all around him, has a sharp sense of humour and has a certain charisma.

I guess in finding out facts about Shakespeare, Bill Bryson has found out that there aren't many known facts about him. Four or so known signatures, not one original copy of a play or letter written by him, he might be a catholic (or not), the only known portraits of the man may or may not actually have been done when he was alive, he may have gone to Italy and he may or may not be the author of all that homework we had to struggle through at school.

Still Hamlet and King Lear remain with me even though it is 20 years, or so since I read them in high school. I loved that I was able to be mesmirised by Ralph Fiennes playing Hamlet, in London in 1995 (cheapest seats in the house but we could only see one third of the stage, and the top of their head - still worth it!).

A brief read with a small score. Just a 2/5 for me.

A 5/5 though for this blog. It is called I read too much, and if you click here you can go and visit :
http://i-read-too-much.blogspot.com/. Taryn is Canadian, and seems to share a similar taste in books, with three of my this years reads on her first page.

No comments: