Friday, May 09, 2008

Lars and the Real Girl

Lars and the Real Girl (2007)
Seeing as I couldn't convince any friends to go with me, I had to go to the movies alone. I don't mind as long as the movie starts before 5pm. Lucky it showed in the cinema that has comfy couches and the two other patrons (middle aged ladies who lunch together) didn't mind that I ate my reuben bagel and drank my strawberry crush.

Awww this movie was one that mad me secretly smile. No real laughs or chuckles but it did make me smile most of the way through. Lars is a lonely loner, avoiding contact with people and any sort of social experience. Hiding away from his brother and his sister-in-law who attempts to reach out to him, Lars only comes out of his shell when he buys himself a girlfriend off the Internet. Yes, his girl is made of rubber and anatomically correct (in the movie she has clothes on at all times!!).

Lars then begins to connect with friends and work colleagues, and this odd relationship allows him to grow and become more confident. The community eventually come to accept and embrace this unusual relationship. I loved that all the characters were real without fake boobs and teeth and that the wardrobe department obviously searched through thrift stores for some classic outfits.

I am going to say it deserves a 4/5 . Thank you ladies who lunch for not making me feel like a loner at the movies!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I adored this movie! It was so sweet and moving and of course I love Ryan Gosling ;)