Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult

Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult (2008)
Jodi Picoult is one of those authors, who I rush to read here newest book. There aren't many authors who cut the mustard, but she continues to put out a quality read with characters who are more than two dimensional, and it must be said this one even managed to bring a tear to my eye. I also appreciate that there is always a twist in the tale, and it is often not until the very end that you become aware of it.

I am less enamoured with the courtroom drama law stuff, maybe it is because of the deluge of law related television shows, but I want to just find out about the characters themselves. In this novel, Shay Bourne is convicted for the murder of a policeman and his young stepdaughter and is convicted to die by lethal injection. Over a decade down the track, the widowed mothers youngest daughter is in need of a heart transplant, and the killer offers his as a donor heart.

A bit difficult to start with and I struggled a bit with all the changes of perspective, as many different characters took on each small chapter by the end I was staying up late to finish this book and enjoyed the moral and ethical questions it raised.

Jodi is travelling to NZ and to Wellington for an authors talk in the next few weeks. Hosted by the main library her talk has sold out straight away and her books constantly top our bestseller lists. Jodi, I will give you a solid 4/5

1 comment:

Pia K said...

I don't think I've ever heard of this writer before. Strange how writers are recieved so very differently in different countries. Seems like a very good read! Will look for this book here.