Sunday, April 27, 2008

Resistance - Owen Sheers

Resistance - Owen Sheers (2007)
Set in a remote valley in Wales, the women awake on a morning in 1944 to find that their husbands and all the men have slipped away in the night. English forces have been defeated at Normandy and the Nazis have arrived in England and change is on its way.

The German soldiers who are sent to this remote valley, have managed to slip under the radar and are allowed to participate in rural life with the local women, while trying to stop people entering or leaving. I found that while I loved the idea of this book, I didn't really bond with the characters feeling them to be a bit two dimensional. I could see Cate Blanchett or Kate Winslet as the abandoned Welsh farmers wife and Matt Damon playing the sensitive and caring German officer, who is disillusioned with the war and finds some peace away from the action.

So sorry Owen Sheers, I had high hopes for you, your book was the first read from the library pile. This is an honoured position, usually reserved for the one I most want to read. For disappointing me, I am afraid it is only a 2/5 for you.

No comments: