Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sicko

Sicko (2007)

Just looking at the cover I posted, I am not sure why it is quoted as "You'll laugh till it hurts"? I really enjoyed the dvd, and agree that it is "one of the year's best". Michael Moore is great, I know loads of folks hate him, and sometimes his style is crude and his ideas and arguments a bit simplistic, but you have to admire the mans ability to ask real questions and question policymakers and government.

I saw his interview on Oprah recently, where he discussed healthcare as being the number one cause of bankruptcy and homelessness in the US. Amazing and incredibley shocking.

In New Zealand if we have an accident, we get taken to a public hospital and treated, no bills, no insurance needed - all free. Of course there are waiting lists for bypass surgery, hip replacements and some cancer treatments. But for urgent stuff we get treated and fast. I couldn't believe the opening titles of this dvd, where some guy is stitching his large knee wound closed at home with cotton and needle. Oh my gosh, that must of hurt. Then the next guy we meet, lost 2 fingers in a saw accident and had to choose between the ring finger at $12,000 or the index finger at $60,ooo. Why is this acceptable? Gosh I couldn't stand the stress of choosing, or having to worry about money when you were lying in pain.

Gosh people, you deserve better. What are they doing with all of your taxes?

I am going to give Michael Moore a big 4.5/5. I think everyone should take the time to watch this, talk about it and what it means. It's not very funny, but it's good.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

My view on MM is like yours, I think he's in general really good! Especially Bowling for Columbine but also Farenheit 911 was great documentaries/movies! Haven't seen this one yet though.

And boy am I grateful we have a decent and pretty much free health care sector in Sweden too. Need improvement for sure, but at least it's there!