Saturday, February 16, 2008

27 Dresses

27 Dresses (2007)

Oh dear Katherine Heigl, I still love you and I think I forgive you for this movie. I know I read a bad review before I went, I was prepared and I'd rather have seen this than go to some of the other rubbish out at the moment, or watch American idol.

I blame the bad bad scriptwriters, who in anticipation of their strike appeared to have rolled out the formula from the closet.
  • Beautiful girl in love with her boss - check
  • Boss doesn't know she is in love with him - check
  • Meant to be more beautiful younger sister steals bosses love away - check
  • Moody and rude new love interest introduced - check
  • Try to start off funny and then end more serious and moralistic (while achieving neither well) - check and double check
  • Bosses assistant living in largish very nicely decorated New York apartment instead of smallish studio/closet - check
  • Know how the movie will end within five minutes of it starting - check

Oh my goodness, when will someone make a smart chick movie? Girls like Katherine Heigl aren't ever single? She is suuuuuuuuper beautiful - don't try to make her out to be plain and mousy. Bosses like hers know they are a catch, they are rich young and handsome and aren't waiting around pining for their dream girl. Dear movie makers, look at how much money and rave reviews Juno is getting - hitch up your g-strings and write some real stuff, make it funny. Girls are funny you know!!

Katherine Heigl, I forgive you. Don't worry it must have been your pre-wedding brain. I will still respect you, but please don't get stuck with too many rom-coms like this. This movie was painful, and by the expression on your face on the poster I can tell you think so too.

I have to give it 1/5 for Katherine Heigl. I was going to give it a 0, as I felt like walking out on several occasions. So don't wait for the dvd, wait til it comes out on free tv.

No comments: