Sunday, January 06, 2008

Changing my life



Now this little beauty is changing my life - oh yes it is. This is what Santa brought me for christmas. It is a DVD recorder with hard drive, a Sony HX 750. Now I am not scared of new technology, but I am not a boy geek who knows all the numbers of all the products, has read them up in the latest technogeek book and researched it all on the internet. Sorry boys, I know you are not all like that, but I work with a few planespotters and I know a boy is judged on his knowledge of cars, boobs and big screens.

This is for the ladies. Now I know, that some of you live in fancy places with access to Tivo and cable tv. I live in the land of poor people tv. Maybe I will get cable when my study is over at the end of this year. However I am trying to avoid it, to be honest I watch too much tv anyway and who needs to pay for more stuff. Kiwi tv is pretty good, although I don't get good signal on the channel that plays all the BBC good stuff. Not to worry, I will sort that out once the study is over as well.

Anyways I had a DVD player and a video recorder. The video RIP, died a few months ago and I muddled on without it admiring my albility to not let television ruin or rule my life. If I wasn't home who cares? I care, I work a lot of shift and sometimes it hurt to miss Greys Anatomy, or the final of Americas Next Top Model (shallow I know).

Now that the DVD recorders have come down in price I decided to invest. Now the trick is you need to get one with a HARD DRIVE (VERY IMPORTANT), also the sales guys said not to buy Phillips ones, apparently they all stop working. So I will list all the great things I have discovered:
  • You can record between 60-300 hours of programs on the Hard drive (just like a hard drive on your computer. Different qualities of recording give you different lengths of time.
  • You can be recording one channel, while you either watch other stuff on the hard drive or a dvd that you have playing.
  • You can watch the beginning of the programme while it is recording the end ie if you get home 1/2 way through the news you can watch the beginning while it is recording the sports and weather.
  • You can skip ALL the adds - yippee.
  • The one I bought, super easy to use.
  • I have been recording everything I can on the hard drive, haven't had to record on dvd yet.
  • the big bonus is that actually I am watching less tv, as I don't sit and wait for programmes. I just record what I want and watch it when I have time. so when the free tv guide comes out, I set the recorder for the following 4-5 days for things I like and then have all of my evenings free.

So there it its - my little sanity saver. Especially for those evenings when the tv is showing only movies with Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey or Will Farrell (or the Farrelly brothers rubbish). I am sorry guys you have all done the occasional amusing movie, but you all SUCK. I hate the movies you are in, the people who write and finance them, and the twelve/20/40 year old guys that seem to love them. Bring on the costume dramas anytime - haha!

So thank you santa, I will be good all year now.

No comments: