Friday, December 21, 2007

Touching From a Distance - Deborah Curtis

Touching from a Distance - Deborah Curtis (1995)

After watching the movie Control last week, I was browsing my library website and found the book that the movie is closely based on. The book is written by Deborah Curtis, the wife of Ian Curtis and tells of their life together.

I was glad I saw the movie first, as I had visuals and soundtrack playing in my head on every page. Hardly the life of P Diddy and the rest of the mega rich musicians today, Ian Curtis worked in the employment office and was lucky to earn 10 quid a week playing in the band. Tortured by depression and increasing seizures due to epilepsy, Ian Curtis foretold that he wouldn't live past the age of twenty five and would die young like so many other celebrities.

The first part of this book is memoir, and the second lists Joy Divisions discography, gig lists and lyrics. Although shopping days are limited now christmas is drawing near, maybe a good choice for the 25ish-40ish year old male in your life, with the best of Joy Division CD (only if he likes 80s alternative music). 3.5/5

No comments: