Saturday, December 29, 2007

Miss Potter

Miss Potter (2006)

Well it is not often in my life I have had a movie recommendation from my father. Dad spent a lot of years looking after mum, and movies weren't really his thing. Dr Zhivargo was the last one I went to with him when I was 14 ,a lot of years ago, but I'm not telling you how many, and no it wasn't the time of the original release - it was a re-release!! A few years earlier we had been to see ET, poor dad sobbed through that one. However I have never been to the movies as an adult with my dad. He didn't have the time, or wasn't interested in what I wanted to see.

Now he has some new interests and has been to see quite a few of the arthouse moives, usually the costume dramas and takes pride in being able to ask me if I have seen the movie.

So I finally got around to watching Miss Potter on dvd, which I must say is awfully English and frightfully delightful. True to the period, I think how lucky the spinsters of today are with all our choices and independence and hopefully without the meddling parents. I didn't know any of the background of Beatrix Potter, besides her being the author of Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddleduck and all the other beautiful childrens books she wrote. So a nice little snapshot of her life and her loves.

Good to watch on a cold Sunday with a large cup of cocoa. Good work dad. 4/5

No comments: